Bistro 22 Maple Cream Pie
Chef Dennis Pierce
Pastry:150 g pastry flour20 g sugar5 g salt65 g cold butter65 g cold lard30 ml cold waterFilling:60 g cornstarch40 ml water500 ml 18% cream250 ml Sugar Moon Farm maple syrup2 large egg yolksMaple Whipped Cream:250 ml whipping cream30 ml Sugar Moon Farm maple syrup
- In the bowl of a food processor blend flour, sugar and salt.
- Add butter and lard, then blend until it looks like coarse crumbs.
- With the processor running add the water, and mix until just combined.
- Turn the dough on to a lightly floured surface. Gently knead it and form in a flat disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Roll out the dough and place in a 9 inch pie plate, then refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Bake in a 400F oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Combine the cornstarch with water and set aside.
- In a pot, heat the cream and maple syrup. When a few bubbles form around the edge of the pot, stir in the cornstarch and water mixture. Continue to stir and simmer until it thickens.
- With the egg yolks in a separate bowl, slowly stir in the maple syrup and cornstarch mixture.
- Return to low heat and cook for 1 minute while stirring.
- Pour the mixture into the baked pie shell and cool completely.
- Combine the whipping cream and maple syrup, and whip until fluffy with medium peaks. Garnish the pie with the maple whipped cream and serve.